Tuesday 30 August 2011

More Runner Explanations (by request!)

Okayeley-dokely.  Posted three photos to - hopefully - make what I am about to write easier to understand.

Several folk on the CBR site have asked for more information on the runners, so here goes.

I bought the wood from the B&Q chain, a UK-wide chain of diy warehouses.  They had a section with loads of different sections of pine wood and I just used what was there.  So, the wood was already cut into the sizes I needed, apart from the length.  It came in either one metre or 2.2 m lengths.  My runners are 2.1 long, as I wanted to keep the runners the same length.  I could, of course, have tailored the runners to follow the flow of the ceiling, which would have meant that the top row would have had held eleven comics, the second thirteen and the last fifteen.  I decided against that.  On a typical vertical wall, this won't be a consideration, though.

Anywho, for standard US Marvel comicbooks I used a base section that was 4.5cm broad and 0.5cm in depth.  (I cut 10cm off the length so it would fit the ceiling space.)  The middle section, which is where the comics rest, was only 1cm broad and 0.5cm deep.  The top section was shaped at the edge and was 2cm in breadth and only 0.25 deep. I matched the edge of the base, middle and holding part to create a neat edge.  As you can see from the close-up photo, I was able to tack this together from the back to hide the tacks.  As I have removed all the comics that were on display, you can also see the tacks holding the runners up onto the ceiling.  (Oh, the tacks were only 1.25cm long.)

The middle sections were slightly different, as you can see from the other photograph.  In these the middle part is in the centre and two edges of the holding section protrude (so that it can hold the bottom of one comicbook, and the top of another).

I stained the runners with walnut varnish, as the bannister was stained with this varnish, too.

Nothing much I can add.  It's pretty straightforward.  Once you do one, you'll be flying and do them very quickly.  Just be careful with hammering in the tacks; sections of pine this thinh can split easily, so gently does it!

No comments:

Post a Comment