Thursday, 6 October 2011

Saturday, 1 October 2011


And the right-hand side...

MTU #48 - the one third from the end of the middle row - is one of my favourite comicbooks from childhood. It's the first part of a four-parter and a really classic tale with a creepy ending. I missed the next part - ah, the unreliable '70s - and it was years before I found out how Spidey got out of the scrape he was in at the end of that issue. Anyone interested in dipping into '70s comics could do much worse than to start here.

October Display: Marvel Team-Up cont.

Being a bit softy, I included a Warlock team-up for me and appearances of Captain Britain, Man-Thing, Sons of the Tiger and Thor for Bagman F.F.F., Ted, Bob and Thor8.

And a busty uber-babe in the form of Red Sonja for Deadpool. That comic is set on my 11th birthday, incidentally. Always thought that was cool!

Marvel Team-Up display

October's Display is... Marvel Team-Up. The only US original you could get with anything like monthly regularity in 1970s Paisley.


The Classic Marvel Figurine Collection characters were prevously displayed along the edges of these shelves. I moved them all up to the top. It's pretty cluttered up there now, but I quite like how clear the other shelves now look.

Not sure if it's better or not...

Tuesday, 30 August 2011

The Comics from the Runners

More Runner Explanations (by request!)

Okayeley-dokely.  Posted three photos to - hopefully - make what I am about to write easier to understand.

Several folk on the CBR site have asked for more information on the runners, so here goes.

I bought the wood from the B&Q chain, a UK-wide chain of diy warehouses.  They had a section with loads of different sections of pine wood and I just used what was there.  So, the wood was already cut into the sizes I needed, apart from the length.  It came in either one metre or 2.2 m lengths.  My runners are 2.1 long, as I wanted to keep the runners the same length.  I could, of course, have tailored the runners to follow the flow of the ceiling, which would have meant that the top row would have had held eleven comics, the second thirteen and the last fifteen.  I decided against that.  On a typical vertical wall, this won't be a consideration, though.

Anywho, for standard US Marvel comicbooks I used a base section that was 4.5cm broad and 0.5cm in depth.  (I cut 10cm off the length so it would fit the ceiling space.)  The middle section, which is where the comics rest, was only 1cm broad and 0.5cm deep.  The top section was shaped at the edge and was 2cm in breadth and only 0.25 deep. I matched the edge of the base, middle and holding part to create a neat edge.  As you can see from the close-up photo, I was able to tack this together from the back to hide the tacks.  As I have removed all the comics that were on display, you can also see the tacks holding the runners up onto the ceiling.  (Oh, the tacks were only 1.25cm long.)

The middle sections were slightly different, as you can see from the other photograph.  In these the middle part is in the centre and two edges of the holding section protrude (so that it can hold the bottom of one comicbook, and the top of another).

I stained the runners with walnut varnish, as the bannister was stained with this varnish, too.

Nothing much I can add.  It's pretty straightforward.  Once you do one, you'll be flying and do them very quickly.  Just be careful with hammering in the tacks; sections of pine this thinh can split easily, so gently does it!